***We are pleased to announce that the ICB Chair in Bioethics 14th World Conference on Bioethics, Medical Ethics, and Health Law being held in Porto, Portugal on March 7-10, 2022, will include a special session devoted to Bioethics and the Holocaust. Visit the conference website for more information, to register, or to submit an abstract.***
Casebook on Bioethics and the Holocaust
We are honored to announce the formation of the Department of Bioethics and the Holocaust of the International Chair of Bioethics (formerly the UNESCO Chair of Bioethics-Haifa), effective June 1, 2017.
Under the guidance of Professor Amnon Carmi, Head of the International Chair of Bioethics, we have been given the privilege of creating this department to form an international group of interested professionals who will work together to provide various tools for educating undergraduates, graduates and professionals in the field of healthcare regarding the continuing relevance of bioethics and the Holocaust for current issues in society pertaining to medical practice, public policy and human rights.
The Department is expected to achieve these goals through the use of varied research programs, scientific meetings/conferences and the publication of educational materials, both online and in other formats, which can be offered at various international institutions in different languages. An important goal will be to have this subject included as a requirement for graduate medical education and/or continuing medical education. We also intend to foster mutual collaboration by developing global sub-units focused on this topic.
The Maimonides Institute for Medicine, Ethics and the Holocaust (MIMEH) will be working closely with the Department of Bioethics and the Holocaust of the International Chair of Bioethics to develop programs that further our joint objective of incorporating education regarding the relevance of bioethics and the Holocaust for modern scientific theory, medical practice, healthcare policy and human rights endeavors throughout the world.
We invite anyone with an interest in collaborating on this project to contact us as we begin developing programming for this new Department. Please feel free to contact us for more information and check this page frequently for updates on our programs.
Dr. Stacy Gallin and Dr. Tessa Chelouche
International Chair in Bioethics (World Medical Association Cooperation Centre)
Department of Bioethics and the Holocaust
U Department of Bioethics and the Holocaust
Dr. Tessa Chelouche, M.D. - Co-Chair; Family Physician, Clalit Health Services; Lecturer, Pre-graduate course Medicine and the Holocaust, Rappaport School of Medicine, Technion; Co-director Maimonides Institute for Medicine and the Holocaust (Israel)
Dr. Stacy Gallin, D.M.H., M.A. - Co-Chair; Founder and Director, Maimonides Institute for Medicine, Ethics and the Holocaust (USA)
- Dr. Ira Bedzow, Ph.D. - Director, Biomedical Ethics and Humanities Program at the School of Medicine, New York Medical College (USA)
- Dr. Amanda Caleb, Ph.D. - Director, Medical and Health Humanities Program and Associate Professor of English at Misericordia University (USA)
- Dr. Arthur L. Caplan, Ph.D. - Drs. William F. and Virginia Connolly Mitty Professor of Bioethics, Director of Division of Medical Ethics, Co-Founder and Dean of Research of the NYU Sports and Society Program (USA)
- Dr. Maria Ciesielska, MD - Family Physician and Medical Faculty at Lazarski University, Warsaw (Poland)
- Dr. Susan Miller, MD, MPH, FACP - John S. Dunn, Sr. Research Chair in General Internal Medicine, Professor in the Department of Family Medicine and Clinical Medicine at the Institute of Academic Medicine, Chair of the Institutional Review Board at Houston Methodist Hospital Research Institute (USA)
- Dr. Evangelos D. Protopapadakis, Ph.D. - Assistant Professor of Applied Ethics at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA), Director of the NKUA Applied Philosophy Research Lab, Head of the Greek Unit of the UNESCO Chair of Bioethics (Greece)
- Dr. William Silvers, MD - Clinical Professor of Medicine and Founder of Holocaust, Genocide and Contemporary Bioethics Program at University of Colorado School of Medicine (USA)
- Dr. David Urion, MD, FAAN - Associate Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School; Faculty Member at the Harvard Graduate School of Education; Charles F. Barlow Chair in Neurology at Children's Hospital Boston; Co-Chair of the Ethics Advisory Committee at Boston Children's Hospital (USA)
- Dr. Paul Weindling, Ph.D., MA, MSc - Member of the German National Academy of Sciences, Leopoldina; Professor of History, Philosophy and Religion at Oxford Brookes University (UK)
- Dr. Matt Wynia, MD, MPH, FACP - Director of the Center for Bioethics and Humanities, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus; past president/chair of the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities (ASBH), the Ethics Forum of the American Public Health Association and the Ethics Committee of the Society for General Internal Medicine (USA)
For more information or to get involved with the Department of Bioethics of the International Chair of Bioethics, please contact Dr. Stacy Gallin and Dr. Tessa Chelouche, Co-Chairs.